This vegan keto tomato soup is a hearty, plant-based meal that requires little prep and less than 30 minutes cook time. Pair with your favorite healthy side dish for an easy and fulfilling dinner.
It's vegan, it's keto, and it's pure deliciousness. A delicious dairy-free and gluten-free tomato soup that is pure comfort food.
Tomato soup is a hearty and satisfying soup to warm you on a cold day. And this vegan low carb tomato soup is the perfect answer if you are looking to get the tomato flavor without all the carbs.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Is Heinz Tomato Soup Vegan?
It may be easy to reach for a can of soup and can opener but if you are looking for a vegan soup, ready the ingredients carefully. The family favourite tomato soup by Heinz is not vegan as it contains skimmed milk and cream.
Many cream of tomato soups are not vegan because of the cream but ours uses coconut milk for a creamy texture.
Carbs in Tomatoes
Tomatoes are a fruit and are keto friendly if consumed in moderation. An average tomato that weighs 3oz can have 4 grams of carbohydrates. But carbs in tomato varieties do vary.
If you want to enjoy tomatoes on a keto diet, ensure that they meet your overall carb count.
Vegan Tomato Soup Ingredients
This creamy vegan keto tomato soup is very easy to make and has relatively few ingredients. Here is what you will need to make it:
Full-fat coconut milk is what gives our tomato soup a creamy texture without heavy cream and keeps it vegan.
How to Make Vegan Keto Tomato Soup
Rather than roasted tomatoes, we cooked them in a pan to brown them to get a nice flavor.
We sieve the cooked tomatoes to remove the seeds. This is optional if you don't mind them.
Pan fry onions, garlic and tomatoes
Blend cooked vegetables
Sieve the soup to remove the seeds
Pour vegetables into a saucepan with coconut milk and stock
Substitutions & Suggestions
- If you find the soup too acid, add a teaspoon or two of low carb sweetener for balance.
- Up the flavor by adding red chili flakes, cayenne pepper or chipotle.
- For a creamier and thicker soup, try coconut cream instead of the coconut milk.
- Add roasted red peppers, either fresh or from a jar for a richer flavor.
- Add fresh basil for a classic tomato soup flavor.
This soups keeps well in the fridge and also freezes great. Store the tomato soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it should last up to 4 days.
To freeze the soup, spoon it into an airtight container and it will last up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly before reheating.
What to Serve with Keto Tomato Soup
The options to serve with this soup will depend whether you want to keep it keto vegan or make it vegetarian.
More Vegan Keto Soup Recipes
If you are looking for a keto vegan soup, we have a few recipes you may want to try:
Keto Vegan Tomato Soup
- 8 large tomatoes cut into quarters
- 1 medium onion peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup coconut milk tinned
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the olive oil on a medium heat in a large pan or skillet.
- Add the onions, garlic and tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are soft and browned. Turn them over during cooking for even cooking.
- Place the cooked tomato mixture into a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Strain the mixture in a sieve to remove the tomato seeds (you can always omit this).
- Add the sieved tomato mixture to a medium sauce pan, add the seasoning, coconut milk and vegetable stock and simmer for 5 minutes on a medium heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve and enjoy!
YOUR OWN NOTES