A hearty keto vegan bolognese sauce made with TVP is full of flavour and texture. Enjoy with low carb noodles for a hearty and healthy low carb and gluten-free meal.
What is TVP?
TVP is an acronym for textured vegetable protein. It is made from soy flour and it is a source of vegetarian protein that is available in stages from finely-ground to chunkier.
Being high in protein and fibre, TVP is a great vegetarian or vegan choice for those who eat soy products or do not have soy allergy. It also has a long shelf life and just needs to be rehydrated before cooking.
Carbs in TVP
Is TVP suitable for a keto and low carb diet? The carbohydrates in TVP seem to vary between brands. For this recipe I used Bobs Red Mill Brand which has net carbs of 4g per ¼ cup serving (25g) making it a great low carb option.
The nutritional values for a ¼ cup serving of this brand of TVP are below:
For the mushrooms we used a mixture of brown and dried Porcini for a deeper flavour.
The red wine is entirely optional and is how we used to make spaghetti bolognese many years ago. Some habits are hard to shake!
How to make vegan keto bolognese sauce
This is an easy recipe to make, with the TVP being added after it has be rehydrated.
- Soak the TVP and Porcini mushrooms in hot water.
- Cook the onion.
- Add the garlic and sliced mushrooms.
- Stir in the TVP and Porcini mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir and cook.
- Serve with low carb noodles.
How to serve vegan bolognese sauce
We used Palmini noodles for this dish but you could use any low carb noodles.
- Zucchini noodles
- Miracle Noodles
- Cabbage noodles
- Celeriac Noodles.
Or serve this dish as it is in a large bowl with nutritional yeast sprinkled on top.
If you want enjoy leftover the next day or use the bolognese mixture in another recipe (vegetarian lasagna perhaps?), this sauce should be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
If you are not a fan of mushrooms, swap them with diced zucchini. Or omit them.
If the pan starts to dry when cooking the mushrooms add ¼ cup of the vegetable pan.
If you don't want to use TVP it could be replaced with chopped walnuts with mushrooms, cauliflower rice or store purchased meat crumbles.
This freezes well and will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. Store in an air tight container or ziplock bag. Defrost thoroughly before reheating.
More Keto Vegan Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Vegan Bolognese Sauce
- 1 cup TVP
- ¼ cup Porcini mushrooms dried
- 1 cup Boiled water
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 14 oz tinned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Place the Porcini mushrooms and TVP in a medium bowl and pour the boiling water over. Stir through and let sit for 5 minutes to rehydrate.
- In a large pan or skillet heat the oil and cook the onion for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and garlic and cook for 7 to 10 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Stir in the TVP and mushroom mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, stock, bayleaves, red wine (if using), tomato paste, stock and seasonings. Stir through and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve by itself or with low carb noodles.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply