Looking for a refreshing and healthy salad option? Try our delicious Strawberry Walnut Salad recipe! Made with fresh greens, juicy strawberries, crunchy walnuts, and a tangy balsamic vinaigrette, this salad is sure to satisfy your taste buds while providing essential nutrients. Perfect for lunch or as a side dish, it's a great way to add more fruits and veggies to your diet. Give it a try today!
This is a simple salad that is full of flavor and color and will fast become a favorite! At just 5g net carbs a serving, it makes a great low carb lunch or side dish for summer.
The taste of a Strawberry Walnut Salad can be described as a perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors. The sweetness of the ripe strawberries is complemented by the nutty and slightly bitter flavor of the walnuts. The balsamic vinaigrette adds a tangy and acidic taste that balances out the sweetness of the fruit. The salad greens provide a fresh and slightly bitter taste that pairs well with the other ingredients. Overall, the salad is a refreshing and delicious dish that is perfect for a light meal or as a side dish to accompany your favorite main course.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
CARBS IN STRAWBERRIES
Strawberries are a great source of nutrition and are relatively low in carbohydrates. One cup of whole strawberries (approximately 150g) contains around 12 grams of carbohydrates, including 3 grams of dietary fiber, making them 9 net carbs a cup. Which can be quite a lot of strawberries.
Strawberries are also packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and potassium. They are rich in antioxidants, which can help protect your body against inflammation and cell damage.
CARBS IN WALNUTS
Walnuts are a nutritious nut that contains a moderate amount of carbohydrates, as well as healthy fats and protein. A one-ounce serving of walnuts (approximately 28g) contains around 4 grams of carbohydrates, including 2 grams of fiber and less than 1 gram of natural sugars.
Walnuts are also a great source of healthy fats, including omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation in the body and improve heart health. They are also rich in antioxidants and a range of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, magnesium, and phosphorus.
The best tasty salad has the freshest ingredients.
- Strawberries - fresh and ripe
- Walnuts - toast them before adding to the salad
- Feta cheese - this can be substituted with goats cheese as that goes well with strawberries and walnuts too.
- Greens - we used a combination of baby spinach and arugula (rocket) but any green salad leaves can be used.
- Avocado oil - extra virgin olive oil can be substituted.
- Red Onion - chopped green onion could be used.
- Dijon mustard
- Balsamic vinegar - a red or white wine vinegar could be use. Try apple cider vinegar or lemon juice too.
- Keto Honey - If you have been missing honey for your salad dressings and recipes, try the keto version from Wholesome Yum. The perfect gooey blend of monk fruit extract, allulose, and tapioca fiber, with the rich flavor and consistency of honey. This natural sugar-free honey alternative tastes, bakes and drizzles just like honey does. It replaces real honey 1-to-1, but has only 15 calories and 0g net carbs.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY WALNUT SALAD
Once you have all your ingredients together, washed dried and chopped, mix the dressing and you are ready to assemble.
We layer the greens, then the onions. Scatter strawberries and walnuts over the salad and drizzle with the dressing. You could all the ingredients in a bowl and toss with the salad too.
This will keep for one day in the fridge if you keep it in an air tight container. As with most salads, they are best enjoyed freshly made.
- Swap the strawberries with ripe raspberries or blueberries for another variation of berry and walnut salad.
- Make it vegan by omitting the feta cheese.
- Add cucumber cubes for a refreshing taste. Cucumber goes well with strawberries too.
- Try another salad dressing such as a poppy seed dressing or raspberry vinaigrette.
MORE LOW CARB SALAD RECIPES
Enjoy a tasty salad with these low carb recipes:
Strawberry Walnut Salad
- 1 cup strawberries halved
- ½ cup walnuts toasted
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup arugula
- ¼ cup red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon keto honey can be omitted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Make the Dressing
- In a small bowl, add all the ingredients and whisk until combined.
Assemble the Salad
- In a large plate or in a bowl, add the greens and red onions. Top with strawberries and walnuts.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply