A quick and simple vegan Thai pumpkin curry that is ready in under 30 minutes. Fragrant, colourful and with a light spicy and sweet flavour.
This keto vegan Thai curry is quick as we use a store bought curry paste. You can make your own or use a red or yellow curry paste for a different heat.
What type of pumpkin is best for a Thai curry?
We prefer to use a kabocha pumpkin, also known Japanese pumpkin. With a dark green skin, it peels easily with a good knife and the pumpkin flesh is not too watery.
The sweetness of this pumpkin is not too strong and pairs well with a curry flavour. A cup has about 8g net carbs.
Other pumpkins that are good for a Thai curry are fairy tale, potimarron or even butternut squash if you are not counting low carbs.
Is Thai curry paste vegan?
For an easy recipe we have used a green Thai curry paste. Always check the ingredients on a store bought curry paste as some may have fish or shrimp in them.
How to make Thai pumpkin curry
Making this curry is delightfully easy. The curry paste is sauted, pumpkin and optional vegetables added, then cooked in coconut milk and lime. It's that easy!
- Pumpkin - fresh and firm.
- Green beans - entirely optional. We wanted an added dash of colour and texture to the curry.
- Coconut milk - Full fat is best.
- Green curry paste - check the label to ensure it's vegan and vegetarian.
- Vegetable stock
- Lime - zest and juice
- Coconut oil - olive oil or avocado oil could be used.
More keto vegan dishes to try
Turn this Thai pumpkin curry into a soup by adding more stock and then blending it once it's cooked. It's a good way to turn leftovers into another meal too.
For extra heat, add more curry paste for your own personal preference.
Sauteing the green curry paste brings out all the flavours.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Vegan Thai Pumpkin Curry
- 2 cups pumpkin peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 oz green beans trimmed
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 13.5 oz coconut milk 1 tin
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 lime zest & juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan or skillet on a medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes until soft.
- Turn the heat up and add the green curry paste. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the pumpkin chunks. Stir to cover in the curry paste.
- Add the coconut milk, stock, lime zest and juice. Bring to the boil and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the green beans and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with a side of cauliflower rice or low carb noodles.