This easy vegan zucchini gratin makes a great variation on scalloped potatoes for a delicious low carb and gluten free side dish.
Slices of zucchini are fried until golden, then baked in our low carb vegan cheese sauce. Pure comfort food that goes great with a nut roast.
This was served to my non vegetarian husband as a side dish with the expectation of complaints to the kitchen. Much to my surprise he raved about this and requested a second portion. So that's another dish I can't have to myself!
How to make vegan zucchini gratin
This zucchini recipe is made in a small 24oz baking dish. If you want a larger portion or many more layers of zucchini, double up on the recipe.
Just a few ingredients are needed and if you already have a jar of vegan cheese sauce to hand, it's a quick recipe to make. The cheese sauce recipe takes just 5 minutes to make and uses nutritional yeast for a vegan cheese substitute.
- One medium zucchini
- Oil to fry the zucchini (olive, coconut or avocado)
- Half of our vegan cheese sauce recipe.
Add minced garlic to the zucchini when cooking the slices for extra flavour.
This can be made ahead and kept in the fridge ready to bake when you wish to serve it.
More keto vegan side dish recipes
Roasted cauliflower in walnut pesto
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Vegan Zucchini Gratin
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ recipe vegan cheese sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Trim the ends off the zucchini and thinly slice it.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or skillet on a medium heat.
- Fry the zucchini slices until golden on both sides. This made need to be done in batches.
- Layer the zucchini slices in a baking dish. We used a 24oz/710ml dish.
- Spoon the vegan cheese sauce over the zucchini.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply