A whole cauliflower is flavoured with harrisa and roasted for a spicy and colourful vegetarian and vegan dish. Full of classic Middle Eastern Flavours, this cauliflower recipe can also be served as a side dish.
The slightly sweet, smoky and spicy flavours of harissa bring the humble cauliflower to life with this easy recipe. Serve it for a weekend roast, holidays or gatherings.
What is harissa?
Harissa is a spicy paste that originates from Tunisia and is often found in North African cooking. It’s a vibrant red paste made with dry red chiles, garlic, citrus, cumin, coriander, caraway seeds and olive oil.
You can purchase it from stores or make your own with this keto recipe. https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/how-to-make-harissa-paste
How to make harissa cauliflower
This keto cauliflower is simple and can be made ahead. A whole head of cauliflower is trimmed and smothered with a vibrant sauce. To ensure that the harissa paste sticks to the surface of the cauliflower it is mixed with olive oil.
The baking time of the cauliflower will vary depending upon the size of the cauliflower you use.
If the cauliflower starts to brown but is not soft enough, cover it with tin foil and continue to roast until soft.
This can be reheated by covering with tin foil so it does not dry out. Reheat for 5 to 10 minutes.
What to serve whole roasted cauliflower with?
If you are serving this harissa cauliflower as a main dish, serve it with a few of these low carb vegetarian side dishes:
Looking for more low carb cauliflower recipes?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Whole Roasted Harissa Cauliflower
- 1 cauliflower
- 2-3 tablespoons harissa paste depending on your spice preference
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- In a small bowl, add the harissa, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower and trim the base of the cauliflower so it will stand upright.
- Rub, drizzle or baste the cauliflower with the harissa paste. Cover the cauliflower by any means you prefer. Basting brush, hands or spoon. Ensure the cauliflower is completely covered.
- Place the cauliflower on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Roast for 45-55 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
YOUR OWN NOTES