Air fryer eggplant parmesan is a delicious low carb version of the classic dish. Eggplant slices are cooked in the air fryer then baked in a marina sauce with lots of mozzarella.
To make this classic dish low carb, eggplant slices are air fried in a coating of seasoned parmesan cheese in place of bread crumbs.
- How to make air fryer eggplant parmesan
- Do you need to cook this in an airfryer?
- Different Variations of Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan
- Can you make vegan eggplant parmesan?
- What to serve with air fryer eggplant parmesan
- Can you freeze eggplant parmesan
- Recipe Tips
- More low carb air fryer recipes
- Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan
How to make air fryer eggplant parmesan
Cooking the eggplant slices in an air fryer means that they are crisp without all of the oil of shallow frying.
- Select medium sized eggplants and cut into ¼ inch slices. Peeling them is optional and a personal preference.
- Set up your dipping station with 3 shallow bowls.
- Dip an eggplant slice into oat fiber. This helps the egg stick to the eggplant.
- Dip the eggplant into the egg wash.
- Finally the eggplant slice is covered with seasoned parmesan.
- Place the slices in a preheated air fryer and cook.
- Golden, crispy eggplant slices that could be enjoyed by themselves!
- Spoon low carb marinara into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place a layer of eggplant on top of the marinara sauce.
- Cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the layers of marinara sauce, eggplant slices and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until golden and bubbling.
Do you need to cook this in an airfryer?
If you don't have an air fryer the eggplant slices can be baked in the oven or pan fried in olive oil. To bake, place the slices on a baking tray and cook for 10 to 15 minutes at 190C/380F degrees.
Different Variations of Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan
Another way to make this dish is to cook the eggplant sliced in the air fryer, then spoon a portion of the marinara sauce on the slices. Top with mozzarella cheese and return to the air fryer for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
Baking the eggplant slices in the oven with the sauce and cheese on top like an individual pizza is a lighter option.
Can you make vegan eggplant parmesan?
Despite this being a cheesy dish, you could make this a vegan recipe. Replace the eggs with almond milk and replace the parmesan with nutritional yeast. A vegan parmesan cheese could be used too.
Vegan mozzarella can be slightly high in carbs if it's made with cashews, but that's always an option if you are not strictly counting carbs.
What to serve with air fryer eggplant parmesan
Can you freeze eggplant parmesan
Yes, you can freeze eggplant parmesan. Place the cooked dish into an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. For easier defrosting, cut the eggplant parmesan into individual portions to freeze.
Almond flour can replace the oat fiber or be mixed into the Parmesan cheese for an extra crunchy coating.
Not all parmesan cheese is vegetarian, so check the brands.
Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge and will last 2-3 days if covered. Reheat in the oven at 180C/350F degrees for 10 minutes.
For a lighter recipe try our Eggplant Gratin.
More low carb air fryer recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan
- Cut the eggplant into 1cm slices
Set up your dipping station
- Using 3 shallow bowls, place the oat fiber in one, the egg wash in other. The parmesan and seasoning go in the final bowl and are mixed.
- Preheat the air fryer to 190C/380F degrees (this usually takes 3 minutes).
- Dip the eggplant slices into the oat fiber, then the beaten egg and finally the seasoned parmesan. Continue until all slices are coated.
- Place about 4 slices in the air fryer basket (will depend upon the size of the air fryer and eggplant slices) and give them a light spray with oil.
- Cook at 190C for 5 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Repeat until all eggplant slices are cooked.
- Spoon a third of the Marinara sauce over a baking dish. I used an 8 inch circular dish but any size can be used.
- Place a layer of the eggplant slices on the Marinara sauce.
- Sprinkle a third of the Mozzarella over the eggplant.
- Repeat the layers and end with a topping of Mozzarella
- Bake in the oven at 190C/375F degrees for 20-25 minutes until the mozzarella is golden and bubbling.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
YOUR OWN NOTES