Seasoned with cajun spices, these air fryer jicama fries are a great low carb alternative to french fries. Serve as a side dish to a low carb vegetarian burger.
If you are missing potato fries and zucchini fries are not helping your cravings, try jicama fries! Utterly delicious by themselves or as a side dish to a main meal.
What is Jicama?
Jicama looks like a large beige turnip and is a vegetable grown in Central American and Southern Asia. Although jicama is a root vegetable which are normally high in carbs there are only 4.1g net carbs in a 100g serving.
How to make jicama fries in the air fryer
Peel the jicama and cut into thin sticks. Try to keep them as even as you can for even cooking.
Place the jicama sticks into a sauce full of water and boil, then simmer until soft. The jicama is too hard to air fry directly and cook through (I learnt this the hard way!).
Once the jicama are tender, toss in cajun spices. You can use ready mixed but I like to mix my own. That way I can tweak the taste.
Place in the air fryer, spray with oil and cook!
Serve with your favourite condiment. I like home made mayonnaise with a dash of sriracha sauce. Enjoy as a side by itself or serve with cauliflower falafel burgers or a sandwich like the Halloumi Chaffle sandwich.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
The thinner the fries are cut, the crispier they will be. If you want a thicker fry, it will need to be boiled longer.
The spice mix I've used is entirely optional. Serve them plain with salt or use your own seasoning. Garlic and herbs are a good mix.
If you don't have an air fryer, these can be baked. They may take longer to be crisper and can be baked for 35-40 minutes at 200C/400F degrees.
More low carb fries to try
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Air Fryer Jicama Fries
- 1 medium jicama
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Cajun Spice Mix
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- ½ teaspoon basil dried
Mix the Cajun Spice Mix
- In a small bowl, mix the spices and dried herbs well. Store in a jar or air tight container.
Precook the Jicama
- Peel the jicama and slice into thin french frie sticks.
- Place the sticks in a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain the jicama sticks and place in a medium bowl.
- Toss the sticks in the oil and cajun spice mix until you have a fairly even covering.
- Place the jicama sticks in the air fryer basket and lightly spray with oil.
- Cook at 200C/400F degrees for 15 minutes, shaking the basket after 10 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Serve with your favourite low carb condiment.