If you love mushrooms and happen to have a lot of them, use this simple recipe to make a marinated cold mushroom salad. It comes out wonderfully delicious.
This cold mushroom salad makes a great low carb appetizer or lunch. The simple flavors come together to make a tasty dish. It's vegan, low carb and gluten-free. If you enjoy marinated mushrooms from the delicatessen, you will love this recipe.
Mushrooms are a superfood that are extremely nutritious and not just delicious but incredibly easy to prepare. This mushroom salad recipe is very easy to prepare, very delicious and healthy too.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
ARE MUSHROOMS KETO FRIENDLY?
Mushrooms are a great keto friendly as they are low in carbohydrates with a 100g serving being just 3g. High in fiber, potassium and low in calories, mushrooms are rich in B vitamins: riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid.
WHAT KIND OF MUSHROOMS ARE GOOD IN SALADS?
Mushrooms can be served raw or cooked in salads. If you want to serve mushrooms raw, portobello, enokis, cremini mushrooms and white button mushrooms are best. Cooked mushroom for salads can include button, swiss brown, oyster. Most types of mushrooms are great for salads but the variety will depend upon the recipe and the flavor of the mushroom.
The marinade flavors can be tweaked to your own taste for this simple mushroom salad.
- Mushrooms - we used brown mushrooms for this recipe. Slice or cut them in half.
- Roasted red bell pepper - we roasted ours on the gas hob but you could use ready grilled peppers in a jar.
- Herbs - we used fresh parsley and dried basil but any combination of herbs can be used. Try fresh basil, dill, dried oregano or thyme. You could also add a pinch of dried red chilis for a touch of heat.
- Balsamic vinegar - red wine vinegar could be substituted.
- Olive oil - avocado oil works well too.
HOW TO MAKE COLD MUSHROOM SALAD
This salad needs to be made ahead so that the mushrooms can marinade for a couple of hours.
Gently wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth or kitchen towel to clean them.
Saute mushrooms and garlic
Add roasted red bell pepper
Place in a dish with the marinade ingredients.
Serve after chilling for at least 2 hours
This salad is delicious the next day when the marinade has worked it's magic overnight.
Keep the marinated mushroom salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It should last up to 3 days.
HOW TO SERVE COLD MUSHROOM SALAD
This mushroom salad is delicious served on a bed of arugula as the peppery salad leaves pair well with the flavor of the marinated mushrooms. Serve as a dish with other salads and a side of low carb Italian breadsticks.
MORE LOW CARB SALAD RECIPES
If you enjoy a salad, try some of these low carb salad recipes:
Cold Mushroom Salad
- 1 lb brown mushrooms sliced or halved
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium roasted red bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- Heat 2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large pan or skillet on a medium heat and saute the mushrooms for 6-8 minutes until cooked.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the roasted red bell pepper slices and cook for a further minute.
- Remove from the heat and place the mushroom mixture into a large dish or bowl.
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together.
- Pour the marinade over the mushrooms and stir well.
- Cover and place in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours.
- Serve with chopped fresh parsley or basil.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply