These easy keto hash browns use celeriac as a great low carb potato replacement. Grated, seasoned and fried, they are a perfect breakfast or brunch addition.
When cauliflower does not cut it for a low carb potato replacement, celeriac steps up to the challenge. Also known as celery root, this vegetable fries up crispy like a potato.
Make these hash browns keto vegan
To make these hash browns keto vegan omit the egg and don't add the oat fiber at first. See if the mixture will bind due to the natural wetness of the celeriac. If it's too wet, add the oat fiber a spoonful at a time.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
Oat fiber is used to help bind the mixture but you could use other low carb flours as almond, coconut or lupin.
Cook the whole recipe in a skillet as a rosti which is a large whole hash brown. It may result in a browner and crispier rosti.
If you have any leftover celeriac pieces then you could run them through a spiralizer to make celeriac noodles.
More celeriac recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Celeriac Hash Browns
- 3 cups celeriac grated
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oat fiber
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Peel the celeriac and cut into medium pieces.
- Grate the celeriac either using a hand grater or putting it through your food processor with the grate blade.
- In a large bowl, place all of the ingredients and mix will. If the mixture looks too wet to form into shapes, add a tablespoon or two of oat fiber.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat.
- Spoon about ¼ cup of the mixture into the pan and shape into a hash brown, pressing down to keep it flat.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until the bottom of the hash browns is golden, then carefully flip over and cook the other side.