This rich and creamy keto mushroom gravy is a thick sauce for dinner that is also vegan and gluten free.
Packed with flavour, this keto gravy does not need any thickeners such as xanthan gum as it is naturally thick with the mushrooms.
What's in vegan keto mushroom gravy?
We have another tasty mushroom sauce recipe but that contains cream and cheese. This gives you a keto vegan sauce for the holidays or dinner.
This easy vegan mushroom gravy is made with just 7 ingredients. It's low carb because it does not use any flour to thicken the sauce, which traditional gravy uses. The sauce from the cooked mushrooms gives the sauce the deep flavour and colour.
It's simply mushrooms, onion, garlic cooked in a vegan stock. Ready in 20 minutes and can be made ahead.
What type of mushrooms to use in mushroom gravy?
The best type of mushrooms to use for a creamy keto vegan gravy are those with deep flavour. They can be used by themselves or mix the varieties together.
- Brown mushrooms
- White button mushrooms
How to make low carb mushroom gravy
We use a vegan butter to cook mushrooms, onion and garlic for this keto gravy. For a deeper flavour, we use fresh sage and gluten free tamari sauce.
Although this mushroom gravy could be served chunky, we blend it for a smoother sauce. The blended mushrooms help give the thick texture. It's almost like a mushroom soup!
Can you freeze this gravy
A great thing about this mushroom gravy is that is freezes great. You can make this ahead and freeze it to save time on cooking.
To freeze, allow the sauce to completely cool. Pour into an air tight container or ziplocked bag and place in the freezer. This should last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Defrost in the refrigerator and then reheat on the stove in a small pan. You are then ready to pour!
For a holiday gravy, add a dash of vegan red wine.
Add rich herbs such as tarragon or rosemary for a stronger flavour.
Set aside a few cooked mushrooms for decoration.
More low carb vegetarian sauces
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Mushroom Gravy
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 oz mushrooms chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons sage chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large saucepan heat the vegan butter on a medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until mushrooms have fully released their liquid.
- Pour in the stock, add the tamari sauce, sage and season with the salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently on med-low until reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blend with a hand blender until smooth. If the gravy is too thick, add more vegetable stock.
YOUR OWN NOTES