These low carb vegetarian air fryer stuffing balls have a crispy crunchy coating with a soft center. Flavored with sage and onion they make the perfect holiday side dish.
Cooking low carb stuffing recipes in the air fryer is quicker than the oven and gives you extra space in the oven for another side dish. The stuffing balls have a great texture too.
Is stuffing vegan?
If you are using a low carb bread for a meat free stuffing recipe there is a possibility that it might not be vegan due to the eggs or dairy in the recipe. Try our vegan keto bread roll recipe and omit the egg to make this a vegan stuffing recipe.
How to make keto air fryer stuffing balls
This low carb stuffing mix uses hemp hearts in place of a low carb flour to help bind the mixture. It also helps gives the stuffing balls a crispy texture when air fried.
For the flavourings, we have gone with the classic sage and onion, with fresh parsley thrown in for additional colour.
The bread used for this stuffing recipe can be leftovers or freshly made. Just keep it low carb!
Can you make stuffing balls ahead?
If you want to make these ahead of the holidays you could make these the day before the big baking session. Form the balls together and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Then pop them in the air fryer when you are ready to cook.
Can vegetarian stuffing balls be frozen?
Yes they can and we currently have a batch in the freezer, ready for Christmas. We cooked the stuffing balls in the air fryer then allowed them to cool. Once cool, into the zip lock bag they went. These will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
To defrost, remove them from the freezer and place them in the refrigerator to thaw. Then reheat them in the air fryer for 3-5 minutes.
As well as a great side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas, these make a great snack or appetizer. Make smaller balls, put them on cocktail sticks for a low carb savory snack.
For the bread ingredient in this recipe we used our keto nut free bread roll recipe. Any low carb bread can be used to make the breadcrumbs.
More low carb vegetarian holiday side recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Vegetarian Air Fryer Stuffing Balls
- 2 cups low carb bread rolls torn into pieces
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons sage chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Make the breadcrumbs
- Place the bread pieces into a food processor and pulse until you have breadcrumbs.
- Remove and place in a medium mixing bowl.
Cook the onion and garlic
- Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan on a medium heat and saute the onion and garlic for 3 minutes until soft.
Make the stuffing balls
- Add the onion and garlic to the breadcrumbs in the mixing bowl. Add the hemp hearts, beaten egg, sage, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Using damp hands or using a medium cookie scooper make balls from the mixture.
- Preheat the air fryer as per the manufacturers instructions.
- Place the stuffing balls in the air fryer, give a light spray with cooking spray and cook at 180C/350F degrees for 6-7 minutes.
- Serve with dinner and enjoy!
YOUR OWN NOTES