The flavours of pumpkin and sage are a great savoury combination, so why not try them in a soup? This is an easy vegan soup for Fall that is low carb and gluten free too.
The addition of using coconut milk in this pumpkin sage soup makes is so creamy without over powering the flavour.
How to make pumpkin sage soup
The beauty of a soup recipe is that it is normally an easy recipe. If my husband can make soup, anyone can!
With a few simple ingredients you can have a creamy vegan soup in under 30 minutes. It's as easy as add the vegetables to the pot, cook, add stock, simmer and blend. Serve and slurp! We have used coconut milk for a creamy low carb vegan soup, but you could replace this with cream for a vegetarian soup if you have any coconut allergies.
As with all soup recipes, taste test it and adjust for your own personal taste. You might enjoy more sage or like it saltier. Personally I use more pepper than the recipe card but that's my own personal taste.
Storing pumpkin soup
Keep this soup in the fridge in an air tight container. It should last up to 5 days. Alternatively, freeze any left overs.
Can I freeze pumpkin soup?
This soup freezes well! Put it in an airtight container and it will freeze for up to 6 months.
Defrost at room temperature and reheat on a low heat to keep the creamy consistency.
Fresh sage is preferable. Dried will work but increase the volume for a deeper flavour.
Coconut cream could be used for a creamier soup but the coconut flavour may be stronger.
If the soup is too thick, add more stock or water.
Serve with fried sage leaves for extra flavour.
Roast the pumpkin before making the soup. It will take longer but give you a great flavour.
More Keto Soup Recipes to Enjoy
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Pumpkin Sage Soup
- 4 cups pumpkin cut into small chunks
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 sage leaves chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat the on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minute until soft.
- Add the pumpkin cubes and sage. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Transfer to a blender, or use an immersion blender, and blend the soup until smooth.
- To serve warm, return the soup to the saucepan, place over a medium heat, and warm until heated through.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply