Tender baby turnips are roasted in lemon and mustard for a delicious low carb spring or summer side dish. Quick and easy to make, you won't miss potatoes with this dish!
Baby turnips are a cute vegetable with a milder flavour to a large turnip. They don't need to be peeled and can be cooked with the green tops too. This recipe roasts them in a tangy lemon and mustard butter for a great Spring flavour.
I don't often come across baby turnips in St Lucia but my favourite store brought some in from France. They looked good enough to eat raw in the car journey home, but I settled for roasting them. As they are available in Spring, I thought the flavours of lemon and mustard would work great with them.
How to roast baby turnips
As the baby turnips do not need to be peeled, you can roast them whole. I chose to remove the greens and cut them in half. If I had roasted them the day I purchased them with firmer greens, the greens would have stayed.
Roasting baby turnips is as simple as roasting any other vegetable. Wash the vegetables, top or cut them in half and toss in seasoned oil. Turn up the oven to 200C/400F degrees and roast them until tender for about 30 minutes.
What you need
The turnips are seasoned and roasted, then halfway through cooking, a lemon and Dijon butter are added to the vegetables.
Make it keto vegan
This is an easy recipe to make vegan by omitting the butter and adding more oil. The olive oil could be replaced with either avocado or coconut oil
More low carb side recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Roasted Baby Turnips in Lemon Mustard Sauce
- 200 grams baby turnips about 10
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 medium lemon juice and rind
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F
- Trim the tops off the turnips (optional) and slice in half.
- Place the turnips on a baking tray. Toss in oil and season.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Mix the butter, lemon and mustard together in a small bowl.
- Remove the turnips from the oven and spoon the butter mixture over the turnips.
- Return the turnips to the oven and continue to roast for a further 10 minutes until the turnips are golden.
- Serve with chopped parsley or chives (optional).