A vegan lemon curd recipe from scratch that’s keto, sugar-free and dairy-free. It’s easy to make and only requires a few ingredients.
Lemon curd is traditionally made with a blend of lemon juice, sugar, butter and egg yolks. This version is made without eggs or dairy and is also gluten free.
Easy Vegan Lemon Curd Ingredients
Just 5 ingredients are needed to make this easy vegan lemon curd. Made with coconut milk, this can have a slightly coconut taste to it. Add more lemon juice if the balance is not right for your palate.
- Lemon - Fresh and juice lemons for the juice and grated zest. Bottled juice is just not the same.
- Coconut milk - Full fat and canned coconut milk is used to make this lemon curd creamy without dairy.
- Turmeric - This gives an extra yellow colour with the absence of egg yolks but is entirely optional.
- Allulose - Our current favourite low carb sweetener as it does not crystalize or leave any icy after taste. Other low carb sweeteners can be used.
- Xanthan Gum - This helps to thicken the lemon curd.
How to make keto lemon curd
This is an easy recipe to make with all the ingredients being added to a saucepan, boiled and simmered until thick. The hardest part is waiting for it to cool and thicken!
Although this is a dairy free recipe, keep this lemon curd in a sealable jar in the refrigerator. It helps to thicken the coconut milk too.
How to use vegan lemon curd
As delicious as this lemon curd is being eaten from the jar with a spoon, try it over low carb vegan pancakes, granola or slices of bread. It's great with vegan desserts such as muffins, cakes or tarts. Swirl some through vegan ice cream for a summer dessert.
To ensure that the xanthan gum does not become lumpy, mix it first into a paste with lemon juice before adding to the curd mixture.
The curd mixture needs to completely cool before placing into jars. It also needs to be stored in a refrigerator over night to thicken.
Swap the lemons with lime for a vegan lime curd recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Patience is needed for this to thicken overnight. If the texture after 24 hours is still too liquid, return the curd to a saucepan on a medium heat and add more xanthan gum. Simmer until thickened.
Store in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.
Yes, this can be frozen. Store in an air tight container and it will last up to 3 months in the freezer. Defrost the refrigerator.
Coconut milk has a higher fat content than almond milk which helps it to thicken. If you want to try this recipe with almond milk you may need to add vegan butter to increase the fat content.
More Low Carb Vegan Sauces
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Vegan Lemon Curd (Keto, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free)
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 14 oz coconut milk, canned 1 can
- ½ cup allulose or other low carb sweetener
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- In a small dish add the xantham gum and using a teaspoon of lemon juice, mix into a paste.
- Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan on a medium heat and whisk to combine.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes until the mixture thicken. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and allow to completely cool before pouring into a sealable jar.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight to thicken.
YOUR OWN NOTES