Our keto zucchini fries recipe is a vegan dish made using a single zucchini and a handful of ingredients. With a crispy texture and tender inside, they are an easy gluten-free snack, appetizer or side dish.
Keto zucchini fries without parmesan are a healthier and low-carb alternative to traditional French fries. They are made by slicing zucchinis into fry-shaped pieces, coating them with a seasoned almond flour and nutritional yeast mixture, and air fried until crispy.
This is an easy recipe that is very tasty and one that you could happily tweak the spices of the coating for your own tastes. I wanted to make a vegan version of baked Parmesan zucchini fries and think I prefer these now!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Are Zucchini Fries Keto Friendly?
Zucchinis are a great vegetable to use for keto zucchini fries because they are low in carbs and high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are also versatile and can be seasoned with a variety of spices to create a tasty and satisfying snack or side dish.
Is Nutritional Yeast Keto Friendly?
Nutritional yeast is a great ingredient for keto vegans as it is low in carbs, high in protein, and provides a cheesy flavor to dishes without the use of dairy. Nutritional yeast is also a good source of B vitamins, which are essential for maintaining good health and energy levels.
Nutritional yeast is considered keto-friendly as it is low in carbohydrates and high in protein and fiber. One tablespoon of nutritional yeast typically contains around 1-2 grams of carbohydrates, with most of the calories coming from protein and fiber.
Just a few ingredients make this tasty keto vegan appetizer with no egg or breading.
- Zucchini - we used a large one, but 2 medium zucchinis would make the same quantity.
- Almond Flour - this replaces the traditional breadcrumbs for a low carb dish.
- Nutritional Yeast - A great vegan replacement for parmesan cheese.
- Almond milk - this replaces beaten eggs to make this vegan.
- Salt - amend the quantity for your own taste.
- Garlic powder & smoked paprika - the spices for the coating can be changed for your own liking.
How to Make Vegan Zucchini Fries in the Air Fryer
Using the air fryer makes the low carb zucchini fries crispier than baked in the oven. If you don't have an air fryer, we have included instructions on how to bake them in the recipe card too.
Slice the zucchini into strips
Dip the zucchini sticks into the almond milk, then the seasoned almond flour
Place in the air fryer basket and cook until crispy.
Serve with a tasty dip or sauce.
- Cut the zucchini strips evenly for cooking
- Cook the zucchini fries in one layer in the air fryer basket. Cook batches if required and reheat all batches for a couple of minutes for serving.
- If you don't want these to be vegan, used vegetarian parmesan cheese for the coating.
- We cut our zucchini fries fairly chunky. Slimmer zucchini fries will cook faster.
This vegan zucchini fries are best enjoyed freshly made. If you have any leftovers, store them in the fridge in an airtight container. Reheat them in the air fryer the next day for 3 to 5 minutes.
Experiment with different coatings and seasonings to find your favorite combination of flavors for your zucchini fries. Dip the zucchini fries in the almond milk, then into these suggested coatings:
- Coconut coating: Combine unsweetened shredded coconut, almond flour, and a pinch of salt.
- Spicy coating: Combine almond flour, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Everything bagel coating: Combine almond flour, nutritional yeast, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Pesto coating: Mix together vegan or vegetarian pesto and almond flour until it forms a thick paste.
What to Serve with Zucchini Fries
Keto Zucchini Fries
- 1 large zucchini
- ¼ cup almond milk
- Trim the ends off the zucchini. Slice the zucchinis into thin fry shapes. (about ¼ inch thick).
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the almond flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt and smoked paprika.
- In another shallow dish, add the almond milk.
- Dip the zucchini sticks into the almond milk, then the almond flour mixture, ensuring that they are completely covered.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Preheat the air fryer according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Lightly spray the zucchini with cooking oil and place in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air fry the zucchini fries for 10-15 minutes at 200C/400F degrees, flipping halfway through, or until they are crispy and golden brown.
Baked Zucchini Fries
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the zucchini sticks on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn over and bake for a further 10 minutes.
YOUR OWN NOTES