Enjoy a hearty bowl of mushroom black soy bean chili for a keto chili with beans! This chili recipe is low carb, vegan and gluten-free. It's thick, rich and full of flavor.
If you are missing beans in your low carb chili, reach for a can or packet of black soy beans and give your vegan mushroom chili an added boost.
Enjoy a spicy bowl of chili by itself or with cauliflower rice for pure low carb comfort food. Chili is an easy recipe to make and the heat can be changed to your own tastes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
HOW MANY CARBS DO BLACK BEANS HAVE?
Although black beans are high in fiber, they are also high in carbs with 13g net carbs a half cup serving. Beans and legumes are not keto friendly but there are a couple of exceptions.
Black soy beans, green beans and Lupini beans are suitable for a low carb diet. Black soy beans like Lupini beans are technically a legume but are suitable for a low carb diet as they are low in carbohydrates.
LOWEST CARB BEANS FOR CHILI
The carbs for a ½ cup (90 gram) serving for beans are:
|Pinto Beans||15 g|
|Black-eyed Peas||15 g|
|Navy Beans||14 g|
|Kidney Beans||13 g|
|Black Beans||12 g|
|Lima Beans||12 g|
|Black Soy Beans||2g|
|Green Beans||2 g|
WHAT ARE BLACK SOY BEANS?
Black soy beans are a variety of the soy bean and are very different to the black bean found in Latin American food. They are a great source of protein and fiber. Available ready to use in cans or dried, which have to be soaked and cooked before use. Some stores may sell them, or you can purchase them online.
If you would like to try another black soy beans recipe, try our bean burger or 3 bean salad.
This is an easy keto chili recipe that you can play with the flavors for your own tastes.
- Mushrooms - We used Swiss brown mushrooms but you could use button, portobello or a mix of mushrooms. Slice or cut them in half.
- Black Soy beans - available ready cooked in a can or if you use dried you need to soak and cook them before use. They have a great creamy texture and make a great low carb substitute for kidney or black beans.
- Red bell pepper - many chili recipes use green bell peppers but we like the sweetness of the red.
- The Spices - we use a mixture of chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper and cumin. Feel free to use your own chili powder mix.
HOW TO MAKE BLACK SOY BEAN CHILI
There's nothing better than a pot of keto chili simmering on your stove!
Cook onions, garlic, jalapeno and spices.
Add mushrooms and bell peppers.
In go the tinned tomatoes and black soy beans.
Serve a bowl of tasty vegan chili and slices of avocado and chopped cilantro.
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and it should last up to 4 days. Alternatively you can freeze this low carb mushroom bean chili once it is cool. Spoon the chili into a zip lock bag and remove any excess air. Place in the freezer and it will last up to 3 months.
To defrost any frozen chili, place it in the refrigerator in a dish and thaw thoroughly. Reheat in a pan on the stove.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar free cocoa to the chili to enhance the flavor
- For a milder chili omit the jalapeno and reduce the amount of red chili powder.
- The mushrooms can be substituted with zucchini, eggplant or tofu cubes.
MORE KETO VEGAN RECIPES
Our range of keto vegan recipes is ever growing. These are some of our favourites.
Mushroom Black Soy Bean Chili
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced or halved
- 1 cup black soy beans cooked or canned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic mincee
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped, seeds removed
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 14 oz tinned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat and add the onion. Cook for 6-8 minutes until soft.
- Add the minced garlic and jalapeno and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat the onion mixture.
- Add the mushrooms and red pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring to coat the vegetables in the spiced mixture.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato paste and black soy beans, stir well. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- If the chili mixture becomes too thick add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning to your own preference.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply