Fennel Jam is a signature condiment of the Mediterranean and Middle East that has a sweet anise flavor. This sugar free version is great for bagels, veggie burgers and a cheese board.
This unusual and tasty condiment is one tasty way to enjoy fennel bulbs. We have made the traditional fennel jam low carb by simply swapping out brown sugar for a low carb alternative.
Not only is this fennel recipe easy, it is also vegan, gluten-free and Paleo. It's absolutely delicious and a revelation to us. Once made, we were slathering it with everything under the guise of "taste testing".
Carbs in Fennel
Fennel is a great low carb vegetable with just 4.9g net carbohydrates in a 100g serving. The benefits of fennel are it is high in fiber, Vitamin C, low in calories, has magnesium, potassium, and manganese.
Fennel Jam Ingredients
This delicious low carb condiment is made with a fennel bulb, fennel seeds and a few pantry ingredients.
For the sweetness, we used a low carb brown monkfruit sweetener for the extra flavor.
How to make sugar-free fennel jam
This easy keto fennel recipe is made in a small saucepan. The fennel is cooked slowly until it reduces and almost caramelizes.
- Finely chop the fennel bulb.
- In a small saucepan saute the fennel in the olive oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook slowly for 30 to 40 minutes.
Play around with the basic fennel jam mixture and add your own twist to it:
- Add a couple of tablespoons of chia seeds with additional water for a thicker texture and extra fiber.
- Thinly slice a small onion for a caramelized onion and add to the saute of the fennel.
- Blueberries for a colourful and sweeter version.
- Chopped or cherry tomatoes for a savoury relish.
- This pairs so well with goats cheeses, so any recipe with goats cheese, add it!
How to use low carb fennel jam
So, you've made a batch of fennel jam, sniffed the delightful aroma, tasted a large spoonful of it and now what to do with it? This can be used as you would an onion relish but with more flavour.
A few suggestions of using this tasty fennel jam are:
- Add to your vegetarian cheeseboard.
- Serve with keto vegan cheese crackers.
- This is great with a side to low carb vegetable crudites.
- Slather over a low carb vegetarian burger.
- Used in a low carb vegetarian sandwich
- Add to a side of your breakfast eggs.
- Top a low carb vegetarian pizza.
- On top of a chaffle with avocado
If the fennel mixture starts to become too dry, add another ¼ cup to ½ cup of water. The fennel mixture needs to be moist but not soggy.
More low carb vegetarian jams and condiments
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup brown monkfruit or other low carb sweetener
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Trim the fennel top and bottom and finely chop.
- In a small saucepan heat the olive oil and add the fennel slices. Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the fennel seeds and brown monkfruit sweetener. Stir and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the apple cider vinegar, water and add the salt.
- Bring to the boil, then cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally and check that the mixture is not too dry. Add any additional water if required.
- Remove from the stove and allow to cool.
- Spoon into a glass jar and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
YOUR OWN NOTES